Whistling Straits is commonly known as one of the two 36-hole links-style golf courses related to the American Club, a magnificent golf resort situated near Sheboygan, Wisconsin. The Kohler Company owns it in a subsidiary term. However, the other is Blackwolf Run, south of Kohler Village. The Whistling complex is situated in the north of Sheboygan.
The Whistling Straits courses are located in Haven in the Town of Mosel in Sheboygan County, but the promotional & postal address is Kohler, the American Club site. Moreover, the Whistling Straits is arguably the greatest championship course in the United States of America. The Straits of Whistling Straits hosted the 2004, 2010, 2015 PGA Championships and the 2007 U.S. Senior Open. It is also expected to host the 2021 Ryder Cup.
Courses at Whistling Straits
Whistling Straits Golf Club has two remarkable courses, which are the Straight Course and the Irish Course. The description of these two courses is given below:
The Straits is defined as an open, rugged, and windswept terrain, usually sculpted along two miles of Lake Michigan shoreline. Pete Dye created a masterpiece in world-class golf. However, the Straits at Whistling Straits was ranked #3 in Golf Digest’s 2019/2020 America’s 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses. It was ranked #5 in GolfWeek’s 2018 Best Resort Courses and #21 in Golf Digest’s 2019/2020 America’s 100 Greatest Golf Courses.
In terms of the Irish Course, both traditional and memorable Irish courses are full of unique challenges. However, the Irish at Whistling Straits® was ranked #39 in GolfWeek’s 2018 Best Resort Courses and #43 in Golf Digest’s 2019/2020 America’s 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses. The Irish course sets from the Great Lakes, unlike Whistling Straits. It is a grassland and dune type, of course. This course is challenging, full of ups and downs and pothole bunkers, long fairway grass, heavy rough around the greens.
What tournaments has Whistling Straits hosted?
Whistling Straits hosted several major golf tournaments. Following is the list of those golf events on a yearly basis.
- 2004 PGA Championship: the PGA Championship is also commonly known as the annual golf tournament conducted by the Professional Golfers’ Association of America. It is also known as one of the four major championships in professional golf. Vijay Singh was the winner of the tournament.
- 2007 The U.S. Senior Open: the U.S. Senior Open is also known as one of the five major championships in senior golf, which was introduced in 1980. The United States Golf Association (USGA) is administering it. This major championship golf is recognized as a major championship by the PGA Tour Champions and the European Senior Tour. Brad Bryant is an American professional golfer who won the tournament.
- 2010 PGA Championship: Martin Kaymer, a professional golfer from Germany, won the 2010 PGA Championship.
- 2015 PGA Championship: 2015 PGA Championship Tournament was won by the Australian Professional golfer Jason Day.
- 2021 Ryder Cup: Ryder Cup is a biennial men’s golf competition, usually takes place every two years. The venue alternates between courses in Europe and the United States. The Whistling Straits Golf course has been selected as Ryder Cup 2021, which will take place from September 21 to 26, 2021.
Is Whistling Straits a public course?
Whistling Straits is a public course with a daily-fee golf facility with golf memberships through the private club, Riverbend. However, it is also considered to be a component of destination Kohler centered in Kohler, Wisconsin.
How much does it Cost to Play the Irish Course at Whistling Straits?
According to the website, Whistling Straits’ green fees “start at $410” along with a cost of $65 for a required caddie plus a fee of $50 for the recommended tip.
The Ryder Cup 2021 venue will be on the Straits course at Whistling Straits, Haven, Wisconsin. However, the tournament is going to start from September 21 to 26, 2021. The tickets are already available online. Anyone who wants to buy the ticket can visit the official website of Ryder Cup Tickets.